By Jen DeSalvo, WLS-AM 890 Transportation
(CHICAGO) Access to neighborhoods on the south side will become more convenient this weekend as CTA service expands along six bus routes.
According to Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the increase in bus service will mean greater access to jobs, education and opportunities for residents of the south side.
The following improvements will go into effect Sunday, September 4:
· New route: The #95 95th combines the former #95E 93rd/95th and #95W West 95th routes for a continuous, one-seat ride between 92nd/Buffalo on the east to 87th/Damen on the west. More frequent service will be provided west of 95th/State on weekdays and weekends
· #4 Cottage Grove: Some trips will be extended south of 95th to 115th Street/Cottage Grove to provide connections across 95th Street for customers along Cottage Grove
· #71 71st/South Shore: Route will offer more frequent bus service south of 73rd/South Shore to 112th/Torrence weekdays and weekends
The following improvements will go into effect Tuesday, September 6:
· #34 South Michigan: More frequent weekday midday and evening service
· #119 Michigan/119th: More frequent weekday midday and evening service
· #26 South Shore Express: Route will be extended to 103rd/Stony Island