Sixteen 9- and 10-year-old children were taken to hospitals from a South Side elementary school Wednesday morning after they ate over-the-counter mints intended for people trying to quit smoking.
Niquitin Mini's are over the counter mints to aid in quitting smoking. NFI— Chicago Fire Media (@CFDMedia) February 20, 2013
An EMS Plan I, which sends at least five ambulances, was called about 10 a.m. at Wendell Green Elementary School at 1150 W. 96th St., according to Fire Media Affairs.
Initial reports from the Chicago Fire Department were that ambulances were called after some children became ill at the school. The children had ingested Niquitin minis, an over-the-counter mint made for people trying to quit smoking, Fire Media said.
The students thought the lozenges - which were brought to the school by another student - were mints, a statement from Chicago Public Schools said. They were taken to hospitals as a precautionary measure.
18, 9 and 10 year old children ingested Niquitin Mini's. 16 children transported in good condition surrounding hospitals. 2 refusals.— Chicago Fire Media (@CFDMedia) February 20, 2013
A total of 18 children, ages 9 and 10, were checked by paramedics, according to Fire Media. Sixteen of them, all in good condition, were taken to hospitals, and two refused further treatment. The hospitals included Little Company of Mary in Evergreen Park, Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, Trinity Hospital and MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island.
"At no time was there a threat to the safety of the school," CPS spokeswoman Marielle Sainvilus said in the statement.
She said parents of the affected students were notified and a letter was being sent to all parents about the incident. Additionally, nurses and social workers have been dispatched to the school to provide additional support if needed, she said.
At least five ambulances have been called to an elementary school on the South Side for a report of sick students.
An EMS Plan I, which sends at least five ambulances to the scene, was called about 10 a.m. at the Wendell Green elementary school, 1150 W. 96th St., according to Fire Media Affairs.
Initial reports from the Chicago Fire Department are that ambulances were called for after some children became ill at the school.
© Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC