While Easter lillies and candies can add to the holiday experience for those celebrating it, an emergency veterinary center is warning pet owners of their hazards.
Especially lethal, according to the Chicago Veterinary & Specialty Center, are many common lilies, including the Easter lily, which are poisonous to cats. Without prompt treatment, a cat that has consumed any part of a lily plant is likely to die, a release from the center said.
“Each year, cats that have ingested some part of a lily plant are brought into our emergency room. Sometimes, the pet cannot be saved,” Dr. Jerry Klein, supervising veterinarian of Chicago Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center, said. “Without treatment, the cat will suffer from renal failure and die. Treatment generally requires hospitalization.”
Virtually all lilies are toxic to cats including common lily plants such as Asiatic, day, Easter, stargazer and tiger lilies, the release said. All parts of the lily are poisonous to cats including the flower, leaves and pollen. A cat can even be poisoned by drinking water from a vase with lilies in it. Cats that ingest any part of a lily may develop acute renal failure and die within days. Although there is no antidote, prompt treatment within 18 hours of ingestion can help save the cat.
Dr. Klein also said, “if there are outdoor cats in your neighborhood, please don’t plant lilies in your yard.”
Some types of lily and other springtime plants can also present a danger to dogs. These include azaleas, calla lily, lily-of-the-valley and peace lily just to name a few. Some of those plants are also toxic to cats.
Other dangers for dogs this time of the year include chocolate and sugar-free treats. Chocolate can be poisonous to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the greater the danger to the dog, the release said. Sugar-free candy and gum generally contain xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs.
© Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC