Man dies in Uptown apartment after apparent carbon monoxide exposure

The scene of the incident in Uptown. / Photo from NVP.

(CHICAGO) A man died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday night at an apartment complex in the Uptown neighborhood on the North Side, officials said.

The man was discovered about 10 p.m. inside an apartment unit in the 1000 block of West Winona, authorities said.

The unit had a carbon monoxide reading of more than 1,000 PPM, Fire Media Affairs said. Sustained levels above 200 PPM cause disorientation and unconsciousness, according to the U.S. Product and Safety Commission’s website.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office confirmed the death, but could not provide further details.

© Copyright 2015 Sun-Times Media, LLC