(CHICAGO) Thursday’s funeral services for the late Cardinal Francis George are expected to delay traffic as the procession heads from the Near North Side to northwest suburban Des Plaines.
Street closures could be in effect between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. near Holy Name Cathedral, 735 N. State St., during and after the service, a statement from the Office of Emergency Management and Communications.
Wabash will be closed from Chicago to Pearson, and Pearson will be closed from State to Wabash, OEMC said.
Following the funeral, there will be a procession from the city to All Saints Cemetery in northwest suburban Des Plaines. Closures will be in effect on streets and expressways along the route between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., OEMC said.
The procession will head southbound on State to Ontario, then to westbound I-90/94.
The procession will get off the expressway at Irving Park and take the following route to the cemetery:
- Westbound Irving Park to Narragansett;
- Northbound Narragansett to Nagle;
- Northbound Nagle to Milwaukee;
- Northwest-bound Milwaukee to Dempster;
- Westbound Dempster to Rand
- Northwest-bound Rand to River
- Northbound River to All Saints Cemetery.