By Jen DeSalvo, The John Howell and Ray Stevens Morning Show
DNAinfo Chicago is reporting that fans heading to the World Series games in Wrigleyville may be paying upwards of $300 to park! Keeping in mind that there is no commercial parking lot like there is at Soldier Field, the United Center or Guaranteed Rate Field (reminder: that’s the new name of where the White Sox play), it is fairly difficult to find any parking, let alone cheap parking.
Most street parking in Lakeview falls under permit parking, and without a 383 pass, a car will be ticketed and towed. Residents oftentimes have an extra parking space which they are willing to rent to an out-of-town Cubs fan, but those spaces come at a premium.
The best options come from the city’s reliable public transit systems such as the CTA and Metra. Information directly from those agencies can be found below.
Source: Cubs Fans: Be Prepared To Shell Out Up To $300 For World Series Parking – Wrigleyville – DNAinfo Chicago
World Series Bound… Destination Wrigleyville!
Chicago Cubs fans, whether you are lucky enough to have tickets to the weekend games or just want to enjoy the experience around the ballpark, take Metra and CTA and avoid the traffic and cost of parking. Buy tickets right from your smartphone too, with the Ventra App, including the Saturday and Sunday unlimited ride $8 Weekend Pass. Please remember that all departing times from the city will leave on regular scheduled service, so plan accordingly.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Chicago Union Station:
- Walk six blocks east to the CTA Red Line (State Street Subway). Take Red Line trains going north to the Addison stop, just steps from the ballpark, or
- Board a CTA bus to the CTA Red Line (State Street Subway): No. 1 Bronzeville/Union Station or No. 151 Sheridan at the Union Station Transit Center, located along Jackson Blvd. between Canal Street and Clinton Street just south of Union Station. Take Red Line train going north to the Addison stop.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Ogilvie Transportation Center:
- Walk six blocks east to the CTA Red Line (State Street Subway). Take the Red Line north to Addison, or
- Board a CTA bus to the CTA Red Line (State Street Subway): No. 20 Madison, No. 56 Milwaukee or No. J14 Jeffery Jump to connect to the State Street Subway. Take the Red Line north to Addison.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Millennium and Van Buren Street Stations:
- Walk two blocks west to State Street to take the Red Line to Addison.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Metra’s UP Northwest Irving Park Station:
- Board CTA bus No. 80 Irving Park to Clark Street.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Metra’s Milwaukee North Grayland Station:
- Walk south on Kilbourn Avenue to Addison Street. Take CTA bus No. 152 Addison east to the ballpark.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Metra’s UP North Line Davis Street Station:
- Walk one block east to the CTA Davis Station. Board a Howard-bound Purple Line train to Howard and then transfer to a 95th-bound Red Line train to Addison.
Directions to Wrigley Field from Metra’s Rock Island Line:
- Get off at the 35th Street/”Lou” Jones Station. Walk to the CTA Red Line and take the train going north to the Addison stop.
For additional schedule information, contact Metra Passenger Services at 312-322-6777 or call the RTA Travel Information Center at 836-7000.
The ballpark is just a half block west of the Addison stop on the CTA Red Line.
To get to the Addison stop from the south (including downtown), take a Red Line train toward Howard. From the north, take a Red Line train toward 95th.
The ballpark is also just a couple of blocks south of the Sheridan stop on the CTA Red Line.
Purple Line Express
Before weekday night games, rather than run express from Howard to Belmont, regular Loop-bound Purple Line Express trains will make an additional stop at Sheridan.
Linden-bound Purple Line Express trains will not make special stops at Sheridan. Purple Line Express service operates only during weekday rush periods. For service back north after the game, use the Red Line from Addison or Sheridan (where you can transfer to Purple Line local service and Yellow Line trains at Howard).
You can also use CTA bus routes #8 Halsted, #22 Clark or #152 Addison(connects to the Brown and Blue lines) to get to, or within a few blocks of, Wrigley Field.