Passing Thunderstorms Did Not Stop Day One of Lollapalooza

By Jen DeSalvo, WLS-AM 890 News

(CHICAGO) The first day of Lollapalooza has concluded and according to organizers, despite the periods of rain, it was a successful day.

here comes the rain
The sky over Lollapalooza at 10:50 a.m. of the first day of the festival.


At 11:12 a.m., Lollapalooza officials released a statement that the gates “have been pushed due to incoming weather.”

At 11:43 a.m., the festival opened to ticket holders, and they were quite enthusiastic after waiting to get in.

By 2:00 p.m. lines at the Monroe Street entrance had extended all the way to Michigan Avenue as security took time to check entrants one-by-one. Items such as sunscreen and selfie sticks are among the items that are not allowed on festival grounds. For a comprehensive list of items prohibited by Lollapalooza, you can visit this site.

At 2:45 p.m. another statement was issued that organizers were “monitoring nearby weather systems,” but the storms broke up before entering the area. For the most part, the festival remained dry.

Friday isn’t shaping up to be too different from Thursday as WLS-AM 890’s meteorologist Ray Stagich predicts variable clouds and scattered thunderstorms with a high of 77°.

According to Rich Guidice of the OEMC, it can take nearly a half an hour to evacuate for a storm. Only twice the festival has had to evacuate; once in 2012, and the other time just last year in 2015 on Sunday of the festival. Up to 75,000 people had been in attendance during those times.

For the full interview with Rich Guidice from Friday, listen here:

Headliners on Friday include the EDM band Major Lazer, Swedish indie pop band Miike Snow, and English rock band Radiohead.

Ticket holders on are still selling four-day passes for $300, and $150 for one-day passes.

For those wanting to see the musical acts without having to pay the resale ticket prices, or go into downtown, they can watch live at

Lollapalooza tv on redbull