Episode 42 – Exploring the World Through Food
Tamar Lowell – CEO of Access Culinary Trips
About: As the leading culinary tour company offering exclusive insider access to destinations worldwide through authentic culinary and cultural experiences, the company has just introduced its first European itineraries with trips to Italy and Croatia, among many others.
Colleen & Catie’s Picks for Exploring the World Through Food
International Food Cities: Tuscany, Italy and Austria
High end restaurant? La Taverna di San Giuseppe in Tuscany – Elegant, historic restaurant with homemade, traditional Tuscan dishes, incorporating old and new flavors.
Located in historic Siena near Piazza del Campo.
Do you need a reservation? Yes, at least 3 weeks in advance!
Hole in the wall restaurant? Kasekrainer in Austria – Food truck serving sausages on a bun
When should you visit this city?
Tuscany – April, May, June, September, and October (most beautiful but also most expensive months)
Austria – Between April – May and September – October.
Tips for visiting?
Tuscany – Take a cooking class. Check out www.cookintuscany.com for options.
Austria – Avoid visiting in summer (high tourist months)
Domestic Food City: Washington DC
High end restaurant? The Lafayette – American fine dining in luxury Hay Adams Hotel with views overlook the White House
Do you need a reservation? Yes.
Hole in the wall restaurant? Order the half smoke at Meats & Foods. It’s the best in the city! The sausages are made daily in-house and are cooked to order. Order with the traditional toppings of chili, mustard, and onions.
When should you visit this city? All year round but spring and fall are my favorite times of year.
Tips for visiting? If a restaurant is booked, consider eating at the bar and go early in case of cancellations. Also try a food tour to explore the best restaurants in a new city.
“What’s” with the “Trip Sisters”
What’s in Your Suitcase?
Insulated Stainless Steel Wine & Whiskey Tumbler
$19.95 on www.thegrommet.com
Sleek and sophisticated with a stylized three-dimensional design , this stemless cup easily fits in your hand. It is a practical alternative to traditional wine and cocktail glasses and will maintain the temperature of any drink for hours. Enjoy at home or take it on your next winecation!
What’s on your phone?
OpenRice – Free – Android/iPhone
OpenRice is the Yelp of Asia! It shows a city’s most popular restaurants, ratings, menus and offers listings for Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines.
What’s the tip?
Tips for Planning an Unforgettable Culinary Travel Adventure (www.BookCulinaryVacations.com)
1. Pick the right food destination – Decide if you want to go off-the-beaten-path or stick to the major cities. Italy, Spain, India, the Caribbean, USA are great foodie spots. Also check for famous wineries in the area and research them ahead of time. Keep in mind tours may involve a lot of walking around, so make sure you pack comfortable shoes and clothes.
2. Understand the local culture – Every food destination has its own unique dishes and tastes that help you learn more about the local culture and the way people live.
3. Figure out the foods you wish to try – Make a food list of the essential dishes you want to try in the new city or area.
4. Get the help of local guides – A guide or even a chef or locals can help you learn the history and fascinating stories behind new dishes and the local culture behind them.
5. Keep a small first-aid kit with you at all times – Trying the local food and experimenting with new flavors can be upsetting for the stomach.