(CHICAGO) The Adams Street bridge over the south branch of the Chicago River will be closed throughout the weekend in the Loop.
The bridge was expected to close about 8 p.m. Friday and to re-open about 5 a.m. on Monday for reconstruction work, the Chicago Department of Transportation said.
Traffic headed west will be detoured to Wacker, CDOT said. Motorists can go south to Van Buren or north to Madison to continue west across the river and then use Jefferson or Clinton to returned to Adams and head west.
Several CTA buses will also be rerouted, CDOT said. No. 7 Harrison, No. 126 Jackson, No. 151 Sheridan and No. 156 LaSalle will generally be detoured from Adams to Van Buren via Wacker.
By Jen DeSalvo, WLS-AM 890 Traffic and Transportation
(CHICAGO) It’s that time of the year again — bridge lifts, and they begin this weekend!
Bridge lifts begin Saturday morning at the Boat Yard at 8:00 a.m., then at the Van Buren Street Bridge between 9:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
The lifts move to each bridge, consecutively, through downtown where 10-15 minute delays are expected through the boat run and lift.
Lifts take place every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. until roughly 1:00 p.m. and each Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. through June 29, 2016.
“The springtime lifting of Chicago’s iconic movable river bridges marks the beginning of the boating season each year and is a welcome sight for Chicagoans,” said CDOT Commissioner Rebekah Scheinfeld, who also serves as Chicago’s Harbor Master and has jurisdiction over the city’s waterways. “CDOT works with local boat storage yards each year to create a schedule that accommodates boats while causing the least amount of impact on downtown street traffic.”
The complete bridge lift schedule is as follows:
· Saturday, April 16 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, April 20 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, April 23 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, May 4 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, May 7 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, May 11 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, May 14 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, May 18 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, May 21 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, May 25 at 9:30 a.m.
· Wednesday, June 1 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, June 4 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, June 8 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, June 11 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, June 15 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, June 18 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, June 22 at 9:30 a.m.
· Saturday, June 25 at 8 a.m.
· Wednesday, June 29 at 9:30 a.m.