Episode 27 – Winter Travel
Special Guest: Trip Beat
Join Trip Beat, a discount vacation club, for exclusive deals.
Go to www.TripBeat.com/familytravel and click “Join For Free” to become a member and receive your $30 promo code!
Colleen & Catie’s Picks for Big Cities
Colleen – The Abbey – Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Accommodations: The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin – Stunning resort complete with 334 recently updated suites and guest rooms, plus 14 luxury villas.
240 West at The Abbey – Higher end, delicious food!
Waterfront Restaurant at The Abbey – Burgers, more casual
Ice skating at the Abbey’s outdoor rink, treating yourself to the Avani Spa at the Abbey, indoor and outdoor pools, and even enjoy a Santa Cruise on the lake.
Packages/Events at The Abbey Resort:
1) Quarterly Long Table Dinner Series – The Abbey’s quarterly Long Table Dinners featuring a special four-course, farm-to-fork menu prepared by Executive Chef Joshua North. Dates are set quarterly – check the website for dates and additional menu specifics.
2) Stay and Ski Package – Stay at the Abbey Resort and ski at one of the Midwest’s premier winter destinations, Wilmot Mountain which is now owned and operated by world-class Vail Resorts!
3) Immersion Family Package – Enjoy overnight accommodations, $50 credit to be used in any resort dining outlet including Immersion Café, and four 15-minute sessions in the area’s first virtual reality gaming center, Immersion.
4) Parent’s Escape Package – This escape includes overnight accommodations, $130 spa credit per stay as well as all day spa access, and at the end of the night, unwind in your room with champagne and locally-handcrafted chocolate. Package is worth a savings of more than $80.
5) Sweet Retreat Package – This escape includes overnight accommodations, in-room amenity of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, $100 dining allowance to the resort’s keynote restaurant 240 West, post-dinner pairing of spirits and locally-made handcrafted truffles from Ethereal Confections, and a complimentary turndown service with an Ethereal Confections chocolate bar.
Catie – Scottsdale, Arizona
Accommodations: Fairmont Scottsdale Princess – Located in Sonoran Desert, home to five top-ranked Arizona restaurants and bars, an innovative spa and fitness programs at Well & Being Spa, six sparkling pools, and even a championship golf course.
Restaurant: Old Scottsdale
Activity: Hiking, horseback riding, shopping in downtown Scottsdale
“What’s” with the “Trip Sisters”
What’s in Your Suitcase?
The Heat Holders – Hat, socks, footies – We used these when filming an episode of “Family Travel” in Quebec. They’re known as the world’s warmest socks and are over 7x warmer than regular cotton socks and 3x warmer than ordinary thermal socks! The socks start around $9.99 and hats and gloves around $19.99 and you can buy them at www.heatholders.com
What’s on your phone?
WeatherBug: Forecast, Radar & Alerts – The WeatherBug app is one of the most accurate, real-time current and future weather apps that helps you track any oncoming winter storms. Free for your Android or iOS and there’s also an Elite, ad-free version available for $9.99.
What’s the tip?
Add fresh squeezed citrus juices to help provide immune cells with an energy boost and promote faster recovery from illnesses like colds and the flu
Add Flax seed powder to your oatmeal or yogurt. Then add cashews and almonds to add healthy zinc & omega fatty acids for clean energy. Plus, the probiotics in yogurt can reduce your risk of catching a bug by 27%
Get at least 6 – 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep
Your vitamin D levels may run on E in winter. Vitamin D can spur your body to fight off colds. In fact, taking 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 a week may cut your risk of upper respiratory infection in half.
Don’t touch your face. People who occasionally touch their eyes and nose are 41 percent more likely to develop frequent upper respiratory infections than hands-off folks, a 2013 study in the Journal of Occupational Health found.
Get a Flu Shot – And workout right before hand. When you exercise prior to receiving a flu shot, the post-exercise inflammation boosts your body’s immune response to the virus in the vaccine
To Stay Healthy While Flying:
Drink plenty of water before and during your flight
Opt for hot beverages, like tea, to drink on your flight
Eat beforehand (if possible) to avoid food contamination on flights
If you must eat on your flight, opt for warm foods vs. cold salads
Bring disinfectant wipes to wipe down your seat and area first