Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 has been named National Voter Registration Day!
From the website NationalVoterRegistrationDay.org:
In 2008, 6 million Americans didn’t vote because they missed a registration deadline or didn’t know how to register. In 2016, we want to make sure no one is left out. On September 27, 2016, volunteers, celebrities, and organizations from all over the country will “hit the streets” for National Voter Registration Day. This single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology and media efforts will create pervasive awareness of voter registration opportunities–allowing us to reach tens of thousands of voters who we could not reach otherwise.
What It Means
- Volunteers at transportation hubs, retail stores, sporting events, and concerts.
- Technology to help eligible voters ﬁnd registration drives nearby and register to vote online.
- A network of grassroots, local organizations engaged in their own communities.
- Tens of thousands of voters registering to vote online and ofﬂine in a single day.
What It Will Accomplish
- Register Voters: A network of a thousand organizations operating on the ground and through social media will register tens of thousands of voters in the ﬁeld and tens of thousands more online while also receiving pledges to vote from those already registered.
- Mobilize Volunteers: By partnering with nonproﬁts not usually engaged in voter registration drives, and amplifying existing drives through event-based recruitment and cultural outreach, National Voter Registration Day will bring together thousands of volunteers across the nation to register voters.
- Educate Eligible Voters: Millions of voters need to register and re-register every year. By utilizing new technology and leveraging partners, we’ll educate more Americans than ever before, bringing new voters into the fold.
- Change the Conversation: National Voter Registration Day will be an opportunity to put our differences aside and celebrate the rights that unite us as Americans; democracy.
National Voter Registration Day is set for the fourth Tuesday of September by resolution of the National Association of Secretaries of State.
REGISTER TO VOTE HERE: National Voter Registration Day